Periodontitis occurs mainly in patients of middle and old age. For smokers, this state is up to 700% more likely than non-smokers. Smoking also reduces the body’s defense against bacteria. Unlike gingivitis, periodontitis causes permanent damage, only in some of the less severe cases is the regeneration of ligament possible. However, it is important to emphasize that proper treatment and consistent dental hygiene may improve the gum health at any stage of periodontitis and prevent disease transition to a more advanced stage, which could result in the loss of teeth!
This disease is insidious because for a substantially long time (in the order of years) the patient suffering from periodontitis may not observe any signs of disease. Additionally it is not dangerous only for the teeth at the end, but chronic periodontitis may be as well one of the causes of other serious diseases, as it can become a source of infection and inflammation throughout the body. It is proved a causal link between periodontitis and an increased incidence of heart disease and cerebral stroke.
Treatment of periodontitis takes place in three basic stages:
- In the first phase, which is the mildest, there is an adverse on a level of the dental hygiene. One of our experienced dental hygienists removed plaque and tartar from the oral cavity. Then she consult the result with our periodontologist, which is at our clinic, MD. Ondřej Klas. He then evaluates and monitors the success of the periodontitis regression.
- The second phase of treatment is the specialized care by periodontologist. According to the severity of the affliction is given the adequate treatment, which may be conservative, without surgical intervention up to the complete surgical treatment, or photodynamic therapy for example.
- The third phase consists of regular inspections (about 4 times a year) at periodontal specialist
How to prevent periodontal disease (periodontitis)?
- Regular and systematic dental care
- Regular visits to the dental hygienist once in every 6 months
MD. Ondřej Klas specializes on periodontics at our clinic DENT MEDICO
ORDER TO PERIODONTICS